Brushing your teeth is an effective way to eradicate bad breath and plaque build-up in your mouth. However, they are not a great alternative for regular oral hygiene. Every day, we eat our favourite food that can cause bacteria, plaque build-up, and even tooth decay and cavities. That’s why we should be cautious in caring for our oral health. Most people might think that store-bought oral breath fresheners are a substitute for your oral health routine, but the thing is, breath fresheners do not last long and do not even help to clean the areas of your mouth, especially in the nook areas.
There are three types of breath freshener that most people can easily avail : gums, sprays, breath mint, and even mouthwash, which can eradicate the odour in your mouth for a short time.
Gums – Gums consist of gum base, polymer, and food-grade softeners mixed with sweeteners that can create the best texture to chew in your mouth. Chewing gum can be a great way to increase saliva production, which can significantly help your oral health.
Mouth Spray – Another thing that can keep your breath fresh is to use mouth spray. Using mouth spray should be applied three to five times a day, depending on when your mouth feels dry. Mouth sprays not only freshen your breath but also keep your mouth hydrated.
Mouthwash – People’s oral health routines can differ from one another. Using mouthwash can be optional to some people since it is not a necessary option for people to add it to their routine dental hygiene. A mouthwash can improve your mouth’s breath in a short time.
What are the benefits of breath fresheners?
Most people want to freshen their breath because who doesn’t? Breath fresheners are an effective way to help fight bad bacteria on the surface of your mouth. Below are the benefits of breath freshener and how it can help your mouth:
- Breath fresheners such as chewing gum do not only freshen your breath but also help stimulate the saliva and strengthen your jaws. Chewing gum at least once a day should be enough to maintain your oral health and keep your teeth strong.
- If you are experiencing dry mouth, mouth spray can help you hydrate the surface of your mouth. Mouth spray has a single purpose in keeping your oral health fresh and temporarily relieving the dry feeling in your mouth.
- Chewing gum can also help you lose weight on the face by continuously chewing and doing it consistently.
- Mouthwash can help heal canker sores which can be uncomfortable and painful to some people.
What are the disadvantages of breath fresheners?
Although it has been extremely marketed in the media that breath fresheners are a great way to improve the quality of breath in your mouth, there are also some downsides to using breath fresheners, such as:
- If you are a huge fan of chewing gums, especially the sweetened types of gum, it can severely erode the enamel, resulting in tooth decay and cavities, which can later lead to tooth loss. Chewing gum is a great way to exercise your teeth and jaw, but it should be sugar-free gums to minimize dental health problems.
- Chewing gum can also increase the risk of biting your tongue, especially in older people.
- Breath fresheners are not a long-term solution to freshen your breath. It is still best to have regular oral hygiene, such as brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing at least once a day.
Breath fresheners are not an alternative way to maintain your oral health. Let us help you maintain your oral help by visiting our office regularly for a comprehensive dental check-up and dental cleaning. Call us at (780) 937 3737 to book an appointment!